Tuesday, May 4, 2021

15 Most Personal Songs (a musical apologetic) -- #6 Mr. Mister, "The Border"

As a child of the 70s and 80s, I didn't have the luxury of computer games and social media to shape my thoughts. Instead, a lot of it came from the music I listened to. 

These are the top fifteen songs that helped to make me who I am and help keep me on track as a genuine person in this human experience. #STformativesongs

#6 - "The Border" by Mr. Mister

I have to thank Matt Carter for introducing me to this song. Matt and I were in a band together back in the late 80s/early 90s, and without him, my Mr. Mister knowledge would have died with their hit album that featured "Broken Wings." 

This song really always speaks to me, every time I hear it and every time I play it. The idea of always being on the border of something new and something next is one that I've always believed. It keeps me from getting stuck in the present or the past, either the successes or the failures, either the loves or the wounds. "How many wounds does it take before we are healing?" 

I'm a dream chaser. I have been since my teens. And dreams do seduce, and as often as not, I end up back where I started, but I know I'm still somehow a better person for having chased them regardless. So I continued to chase and then to wait again, heart in my hand on the border. 

==================

We, we must go on now, wherever people go who go on together

And now, try to hold on now, too many of us have run, run out of the circle


Can you hear me, are you breathing

I need you near me, no I'm not leaving

I'm in no hurry to do this alone


I am standing here with my arms open wide

I am waiting here, heart in my hand on the border


Dreams, dreams may seduce you

But sooner or later they're gone and you're back where you started

Oh look, look at these scars now

How many wounds does it take before we are healing


Can we go on now, from what we have done now

Yes we must go on, our questions unanswered

I know what we're after is right here in our hands


I am standing here with my arms open wide

I keep waiting here, heart in my hand on the border

And every step we take gives us the strength to go on

And all the love we make gets us closer to home


I can see it all so clearly now, I can hear your voice in a song

And it burns down inside my soul, it takes me down this winding road

We can find our way back home


We, we must go on now, wherever people go who go on together


Oh, standing here with my arms open wide

And I keep waiting here, on the borderline

And every step we take gives us the strength to go on

And all the love we make gets us closer to home

No comments:

Post a Comment