Tuesday, May 11, 2021

15 Most Personal Songs (a musical apologetic) -- #5 Mike and the Mechanics, "The Living Years"

As a child of the 70s and 80s, I didn't have the luxury of computer games and social media to shape my thoughts. Instead, a lot of it came from the music I listened to. 

These are the top fifteen songs that helped to make me who I am and help keep me on track as a genuine person in this human experience. #STformativesongs

#5 - "The Living Years" by Mike and the Mechanics 

This song was really driven home to me when my Granddaddy Taylor died. When I was a kid, my brother and I would visit Grandma and Granddaddy often. But as I became an adult, those visits grew far more infrequent, and when they moved to another state, we didn't seen them again until the funeral. When I arrived, one of my uncles (and rightfully so) told me directly that I had caused Granddaddy a lot of pain by not visiting or calling. And in spite of my ruffled pride, I had to admit he was right. I had (not intentionally, but by neglect) shut off part of my history because life kept me so busy and I had wrongfully just assumed there would always be plenty of time for that later. 

I have tried after that to be better about keeping in touch, particularly with family, and I don't want my kids to miss a part of their heritage. So, in the interest of "The Living Years," I remind myself that I need to put all else aside from time to time and embrace the listening and the hearing I need for my own life to be complete. 

==================

Every generation

Blames the one before

And all of their frustrations

Come beating on your door


I know that I'm a prisoner

To all my Father held so dear

I know that I'm a hostage

To all his hopes and fears

I just wish I could have told him in the living years


Oh, crumpled bits of paper

Filled with imperfect thought

Stilted conversations

I'm afraid that's all we've got


You say you just don't see it

He says it's perfect sense

You just can't get agreement

In this present tense

We all talk a different language

Talking in defence


Say it loud (say it loud), say it clear (oh say it clear)

You can listen as well as you hear

It's too late (it's too late) when we die (oh when we die)

To admit we don't see eye to eye


So we open up a quarrel

Between the present and the past

We only sacrifice the future

It's the bitterness that lasts


So don't yield to the fortunes

You sometimes see as fate

It may have a new perspective

On a different day

And if you don't give up, and don't give in

You may just be okay


So say it loud, say it clear (oh say it clear)

You can listen as well as you hear

Because it's too late, it's too late (it's too late) when we die (oh when we die)

To admit we don't see eye to eye


I wasn't there that morning

When my Father passed away

I didn't get to tell him

All the things I had to say


I think I caught his spirit

Later that same year

I'm sure I heard his echo

In my baby's new born tears

I just wish I could have told him in the living years


Say it loud, say it clear (oh say it clear)

You can listen as well as you hear

It's too late (it's too late) when we die (it's too late when we die)

To admit we don't see eye to eye

So say it, say it, say it loud (say it loud)

Say it clear (come on say it clear)





No comments:

Post a Comment