Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The dangerous, painful, agonizing, irritating and irksome side of faith

A good friend I respect posted this today: "I can't fucking stand the self-righteous religious hypocrites."

To which I responded: 


"I feel the same way, and when I do, that's when I have to remind myself that as a believer in grace and mercy, I have to continue to extend it to the same self-righteous asswipes (see, I still have issues with it myself) who make my faith seem so backwards and blind and well, self-righteous. It's a painful, two-edged sword to live.

"I live right in the middle of that world, and trust me, it hasn't apparently gotten any easier for us to see the planks in our own eyes while railing about the toothpicks in others' eyes."

I agree with him wholeheartedly, but that's the dangerous, painful, agonizing, irritating and irksome side of faith in a gracious God -- we're called to be like Him, including that whole quick to forgive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment