Tuesday, March 23, 2021

15 Most Personal Songs (a musical apologetic) -- #12 Ideola, "Go Ask the Dead Man"

As a child of the 70s and 80s, I didn't have the luxury of computer games and social media to shape my thoughts. Instead, a lot of it came from the music I listened to. 

These are the top fifteen songs that helped to make me who I am and help keep me on track as a genuine person in this human experience. #STformativesongs

#12 - Go Ask the Dead Man - Ideola

Mark Heard did a little experiment that became one of my favorite albums of all time. Yes, all time. Ideola was a sort of pre-techno, alternative-adjacent slice of weirdness that had more to say about life than anything else that came out musically at the time. But the song that really stuck with me from it was this one -- "Go Ask the Dead Man." How valuable are even the things we don't like and don't wish to have to go through? How important are the people in our lives? How valuable are the things we take for granted? Well, to the man who can no longer experience them, I bet they're pretty much priceless. This song reminds me to live in a way that sees that priceless quality of ordinary things each day. 

=================

What's the worth of one warm smile?

Go and ask the dead man

How bright the light in loved ones’ eyes?

Go ask the dead man

Where's the charm in cloudy skies?

Go and ask the dead man

Oh go ask the dead man


Who has eyes for an evening sun?

Go and ask the dead man

The smell of earth, the sound of storms?

Go ask the dead man

How intense is the lightest touch?

Go and ask the dead man

Oh go ask the dead man


They say dead men tell no tales

But if you want to hear your own heart beating

Listen well, listen well

Go ask the dead man

Go ask the dead man



No comments:

Post a Comment