Tuesday, April 20, 2021

15 Most Personal Songs (a musical apologetic) -- #8 Daniel Amos, "Darn Floor, Big Bite"

 As a child of the 70s and 80s, I didn't have the luxury of computer games and social media to shape my thoughts. Instead, a lot of it came from the music I listened to. 

These are the top fifteen songs that helped to make me who I am and help keep me on track as a genuine person in this human experience. #STformativesongs

#8 - "Darn Floor, Big Bite" by Daniel Amos

Terry Scott Taylor and Daniel Amos' music has been a part of my life since I started making my own musical choices. From satire like "Bibleland" and "Mall All Over the World" and "(It's the Eighties Where's Our) Rocket Packs" to introspective songs like "A Sigh for You" and "William Blake," to more longing songs like "Soon," they were always a band with something to say about the human condition. 

"Darn Floor, Big Bite" reminds me of the axiom that pride comes before a fall, but in terms on my intellect and my understanding. No matter what I think I know, it's never the full story. No matter how much I want to put my understanding of reality in a box and say "this is it," it never is "it." The moment my pride decides to tell someone else, "no, this is how it is, and you're wrong," I remember that my understanding is just as incomplete, and that we're both on the same footing. This song leads me to empathy, not having to be right. It also reminds me of the line from the Carolyn Arends song from a few days ago, "Trying to touch the stars and the cookie jar, and both were out of reach."

==================

You touch my hair and cheek sometimes

Feel in yourself this flesh and blood

My poor flesh and blood, my poor flesh and blood


I think I met an angel once

But I cannot really know for sure

Do I know you now? Do I know you now?


Illuminate my muddled heart

Sweep the shadows from my mind

So I might imagine what you are like

And understand the great design


Darn floor - big bite

You are earth, water and light

Darn floor - big bite

Can I ever hope to get it right, can't get it right


I believe I've had a vision or two

Could have been a dream

I guess it could have been a dream

Could have been a dream

I saw the wide world crack where you touched down

And bodies wash up on a mythical shore

Will you save me now? Will you save me now?

In not-quite earth, in not-quite heaven

I'll imitate love like lovers do

In not-quite art, in not-quite living

I'll pray that writing it down is part of loving you


Darn floor - big bite

You are twilight, dark and bright

Darn floor - big bite

You are beautiful, terrible terrible sight!


Darn floor - big bite

You are love, fire and light


No I can't get it, no I can't get it right


No comments:

Post a Comment