Tuesday, April 13, 2021

15 Most Personal Songs (a musical apologetic) -- #9 Bob Dylan, "What Good Am I"

As a child of the 70s and 80s, I didn't have the luxury of computer games and social media to shape my thoughts. Instead, a lot of it came from the music I listened to. 

These are the top fifteen songs that helped to make me who I am and help keep me on track as a genuine person in this human experience. #STformativesongs

#10 - "What Good Am I" by Bob Dylan

This is the first of two Dylan songs on this list. This one is the one that taught me to be sure that the ideals inside me match the actions on the outside. It's sort of like the idea of being a sounding gong and clanging cymbal if I'm empty of love. No matter what I say I am and believe, it doesn't mean squat until my outside actions reinforce it. 

==================

What good am I some like all the rest

If I just turn away when I see how you're dressed

If I shut myself off so I can't hear you cry

What good am I?


What good am I if I know and don't do

If I see and don't say if I look right through you

If I turn a deaf ear to the thunderin' sky

What good am I?


What good am I while you softly weep

And I hear in my head what you say in your sleep

And I freeze in the moment like the rest who don't try

What good am I?


What good am I then to others and me

If I had every chance and yet still fail to see

If my hands are tied must I not wonder within

Who tied them and why and where must I have been


What good am I if I say foolish things

And I laugh in the face of what sorrow brings

And I just turn my back while you silently die

What good am I? 



No comments:

Post a Comment